The overall objective for which EAUMP is established is to enhance research, teaching and capacity building in the East Africa.
- To assist the countries in East Africa to build and sustain a critical mass of credible mathematicians through postgraduate training and research.
- To promote joint research amongst Mathematicians in participating Institutions and other and scientists.
- To promote review of Mathematics Programmes and introduce missing relevant areas of Mathematics in the curriculum.
- To promote activities of mathematics, other than those mentioned above, that have a regional character.
- To promote Postgraduate training.
- To attract talent and to encourage students to study mathematics.
- To promote gender balance within the field of Mathematics within the region.
- To provide avenues for international cooperation and links in various areas of mathematics.
- To encourage and implement effective utilization of resources available to the programme at the participating institutions.
- To promote and facilitate dissemination and exchange of information.
- To solicit resources for carrying out activities that are of strategic importance for the development of East Africa.
The expected results of the project include:-
- Improved Mathematics Publications profile in the region
- Increased number of Mathematics PhD holders in the region
- Improved human and non-human resources of participating departments
- Introduction of new Mathematics areas in the curriculum of participating departments